Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Tryouts '07

Well, Flaming Moe had its third tryout for the '07 season last night. And I finally started playing. The first two tryouts were fine, but I was playing quite "conservatively." I had a couple opportunities that I could have done more with on D, especially. Last night was a little bit better though. I shut down a couple people, beat someone out in the air, and had a couple of nice throws completed. I don't want to sound like Lou here (wink wink), so I will admit that I'm still a work in progress for this season... I just finally felt like I was coming into my own a little bit. (It's a true luxury to be a returner at tryouts, because I have the opportunity to 'come into my own...' I'm trying to take as little advantage of that as possible though - it's definitely a lot more comfortable to play my way onto the team.)

Other than on the field, it's been fun talking to tryouts on the sidelines and getting an idea of what Moe '07 could look like. There's going to be a lot of weight on the returner's shoulders this year - and especially, I think, in the handler postitions. But when I take a step back and consider only the top 10% of the field (the top tryouts), I see Moe being better than before (Best Case Scenario), or just within reach of the talent we had last year (and that's Worst Case Scenario). Best of luck captains.

No comments: