Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Spring Break, pt. 1

Just because I'm not in college anymore doesn't mean I don't get a Spring Break, right?

(Even though I already took a week off to go to Mexico in January this year... but, uh... that was for our Honeymoon, kind of. Haha.)

Ok. I'm spoiled, so what?! I wasn't about to let Anna's Spring Break go to waste.

And you're thinking, "What a guy."

But Colorado has been awesome. Right now we're taking our first real break from traveling and hitting all the hot spots around CO to chill and study - and to update blogs, of course!

Our trip so far...

We flew in Friday night, late. I think we landed at about 10:50pm, but didn't get out of the airport until midnight. Longest-baggage-claim-ever. My dad, coincidently, had planned a ski trip with some friends that just happened to overlap with the weekend that we were coming to visit, so on top of being able to see Karin (my sister, a senior at Boulder) and Katy & Dan (friends who now live in Boulder), we'd be able to ski and hang out with my Dad too. He and Karin picked us up from the airport. Our trip from Denver to Boulder was uneventful and we got to Karin's apartment at around 1am. We got the bed, my Dad got the couch (Sorry, Old Man!).

Saturday morning we got up early to head out to Breckenridge. Neither Anna or I are very experienced downhill skiers, so skiing with my Dad (who recently got back from skiing at Alta) and Karin (who basically lives part-time on the ski hill) was a challenge, to say the least. I think we both impressed ourselves though, me more so on the first day, Anna more so on the second. It was a blast, really, and I wish that I had a camera that I wouldn't mind carrying up on the mountain because the views were absolutely breath-taking. And the place we were staying wasn't too shabby either. We were upgraded to a 2 bedroom suite with a fireplace which was nice to come back to after shredding those black diamonds. Oh, and the outdoor hot tub was more than OK...

Our plan was to come back Monday so Karin could make it to class. This was a very hard thing to do waking up Monday morning in the mountains, but we had a lot more to see in Boulder, and our legs would benefit from a couple days' rest before we hit the slopes again, so we (however remorsefully) headed back.

Monday Anna and I cruised around Pearl St. after quickly dropping off Karin for school and checking into our hotel. Probably the biggest surprise of the trip so far has been the weather. Monday and Tuesday the highs were flirting with 80(!), and we soon realized that we'd over or under packed - depending how you look at it. Shopping for shorts and flip-flops became a priority. :) In the afternoon we met Katy for some hiking and throwing in the park. Then more cruising-around and back to the hotel to change for dinner. Which was awesome. We met Katty and Dan at an Ethiopian restaurant not too far from our hotel (nothing is really too far away here, it seems) and had a pretty un-top-able meal. If you've never had Ethiopian (we hadn't before Monday) wait until we get back and we'll go with you!

...

That's all for now. On my next installment: Butterflies, the Eldora Nordic Center and more good eating, of course.

1 comment:

tim said...

Bjorn-
It sounds like you are enjoying yourself and not letting work get you down. I am definitely envious hearing of your mountain skiing adventures. Life here is busy I’m helping organize a career day next week and the last details still need to be pulled together. Hope to updated my blog soon but good to hear your having fun
Peace
tim