Sunday, March 18, 2007

1000 Visitors! + Blogging Thoughts.

I thought I'd take a quick detour from chronicling my Spring Break to celebrate my blog's 1000th visitor who came yesterday (March 17th - St. Patrick's Day) at 12:16:22pm.

Thank you, friends, for helping me out with my self-worth... I don't plan on quiting the blog anytime soon.

---

While writing at a coffee shop this weekend I was asked the question, "Why do you have a blog?"

My initial response was a silence that became pregnant with the awkward supposition [by my inquisitor] that I was [silently/awkwardly] coming to the realization that this "blogging" that I so enjoy doing is mostly a pointless waste of time - a cry out for attention from a want-to-be writer, with less talent than ambition, or less ambition than talent - a desperate stab at stardom, scrawled upon the vast bathroom-stall-door that is the internet blogsphere...

"To let friends know what I'm up to," I recovered, finally realizing that my friend's question wasn't meant to be the pseudo-psychological probe that I let it become.

---

There's a lot of The Dream wrapped up in blog culture. The Dream of Being Read. The Dream of Being Recognized. The Dream of Being Appreciated. The Dream of Affecting Someone's Thoughts and Life.

---


Maybe that's dipping a bit too far under the surface for something so mainstream right now - and I doubt the majority of bloggers would agree with me some points - especially considering how darn functional blogging can also be.... For travel and news sites it's great. Writers can post from anywhere with an internet connection and need only basic word processing skills. Reading about my friends' trips abroad, in Rich Text, with pictures, has been great and exciting. And maybe it's just because this technology is new and hot right now, but blogs seem to be a format that people [both writers and readers] want to return to. On a couple occasions that's happened right here - unlike the bathroom-stall-door, blogs have the potential to [conveniently] cultivate dialogs, and I feel privileged to have some documented in my archives.

So like I said, for now, I'll keep blogging. And then later I'll decide what was a waste of time and what wasn't.

Again, thanks for reading.

1 comment:

Davin Haukebo-Bol said...

Congratulations on the milestone Bjorn. And a fine entry. I could spend a while wrapping my mind around the talent vs ambition concept alone.