Thursday, June 28, 2007

iWant

Man do I want an iPhone.

And I swear that I'm not just blinded by the hype...

Ok, don't believe me? For every negative aspect of the device, I bet I can list something that makes it worth buying. Just try me...


---

The iPhone is only available through AT&T (formerly Cingular).
Awesome! I already use AT&T! Sucks for you if you don't.

The iPhone only has 4 or 8gigs of storage.
Hey, that's 4 or 8gigs more than my phone now has!

You can't use the iPhone wearing gloves. It requires skin contact.
Cool. How does it know that? (Take off your gloves!)

There aren't any games on the iPhone.
I hear the internet has games.

But the iPhone's browser doesn't support Java, Flash...
Yet. Doesn't *yet* support...
The AT&T Edge network (for internet) is slow and outdated. The next-gen. iPhone will be on a faster connection.
You're slow and outdated!

And for $500-600, you could get a iPod video and a new smart phone or a Blackberry.
Ok, shut up. You're missing the point.

---

Well, and seriously you are, if you're one of the people out there telling everyone they're stupid to buy, or buy into, the iPhone. Of course there's going to be something better in a couple of years. When hasn't that been the case with consumer technology? I actually believe that Apple is delivering pretty much what they said they would be when they announced the iPhone last year. They're asking a pretty high price, but nothing worth complaining about. The real money spent is on the plans with AT&T anyway, and here, I'm surprised to say, things actually look pretty good. $60/month for all the minutes I could use, all the texting I'd ever do, and unlimited data (internet). Maybe not enough for some, but for me, that'd work. Especially when you consider the combined cost of voice and data plans for a Blackberry. Good luck staying under $80/month.

So what's stopping me? The fact that I don't actually NEED any of the things this phone offers (that took me a while to come to terms with), so even if I'm getting a good deal, or my money's worth, it's still a good deal of my money.

So maybe if I rake in a lot of money doing freelance, or I find $600 in my sweatpants pocket I'll go get in line at the nearest Apple or AT&T store... Otherwise, if you get one, could I just hold it for a while? Thanks.

5 comments:

Coach Lou said...

I'm a gadget guy and I really am not impressed. Apple is doing again what it's been doing for years: turning up the hype (and style) on a product that's not all that much better than what the free market has already produced and slapped a high price tag on it.

The cons are too con-ish. And the pros aren't pro-ish enough for me. I LOVE the internet, but I don't NEED the FULL internet on my phone. It's not a computer, it's a phone. There's no (good) keyboard, no mouse, and no good high speed network. Good usability on the web requires these things. Plus, the size is almost a dealbreaker for me. Big phones, mp3 players, cameraa, and other devices have never made it historically. I could go on and on about the things I don't like. And the things I do like, my phone kind of already does.

So, do I think the iPhone will make it? Perhaps. But if it does, I think it will be as a result of a successful marketing campaign, not because of creating a superior product.

Bjorn said...

Oh Lou,

You write a lot, and say almost nothing - except to reiterate some of my points in a way that makes it sound like you made them first. ('not impressed' did make me chuckle though... you 'mowskis!)

And your new points about size (it'd be hard to fit a 3" screen on anything smaller than 3") and lack of keyboard/mouse (sounds like a good thing to me) miss the mark, where I'm concerned.

But keep on 'kind of' doing what you want on your phone, and if you ever do come across a gadget that somebody NEEDS, let me know so I can buy all the stock there is.

iWant.

Davin Haukebo-Bol said...

$600 in your sweatpants pocket? Perhaps I am missing the point of the post. But who keeps six hundred bills in the pocket of sweatpants? Granted, it is a hypothetical. But the shear thought of it... golly.

Coach Lou said...

http://cangooglehearme.com/index.php#iphones-to-love-and-hate

royler said...

the point of the iphone is that everything you do on it is animated and fun. the totally awesome things about the iphone outnumber the minor inconveniences 10 - 1.

if you're ever in madison you can try mine. or i could hold it in front of a webcam and you could tell me what buttons to press :D