Monday, February 05, 2007

Boston Bomb Scare

Major highways, bridges and tunnels in the Boston area were shut down last week after someone reported seeing what they thought could be a bomb attached to an overpass...

I'm sure all of you heard about this, and if you haven't, Google "Boston Bomb Scare" and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Turns out the "sophisticated electronic devices," as I heard one news-caster describe them, were no more than ["guerrilla"] publicity devices for the Cartoon Network/Adult Swim tv show Aqua Teen Hunger Force.

When I heard about the incident I at once felt both sorry for the cops who had no choice but to respond seriously to a potential bomb sighting, but at the same time surprised at how long this 'scare' apparently went on and how much I had to hear about it as national breaking news... especially considering the following:
*38 of these devices were placed in Boston, WEEKS before last Wednesday's 'scare'...
*The ad campaign has been installed in 11 major cities. The 'perpetrators' were said to be mostly confused about why this happened in Boston, and why now?!
*And here are pictures of the 'suspicious' devices.



Wouldn't the cops have found the first one and been like, "Oh, that's not a bomb," and played it off like any other bomb threat that turns out to be nothing? I don't know. I can see both sides of this one, but Turner seems to have been made into a big target just because they'll be able to shell out to the city [ies?] for this mishap. And the Boston city officials are really playing the victim - not even accepting the public apology from TBS. That's low. (Poor Turner Broadcasting, I know.) But what would happen if it was just me, putting up Brite-Lites that said "BJORN!" all over Minneapolis?

I don't think it's worth trying...

No comments: