Monday, October 30, 2006

In this post 9/11 world.

Oops, I did it again.

I often forget to check my pockets before going to the airport, so I will sometimes find myself in a moment of panic, waiting in line for the X-ray machine, wondering what I might have to turn over to the airport security people... Or, in this case, what I might NOT have to turn over...

You see, I carry a little Swiss Army pocket knife on my key chain and for the second time now, it's found its way onto a plane with me at the Minneapolis International Airport (MSP). Both times the keys were sitting in the bottom of my carry-on, and both times they have passed through the X-ray without bringing any attention to themselves.



I have to wonder: do the machines really not see knives when they pass through, or do the people running the machines not see them? Or do these people not really consider this 1.5" blade a significant weapon and let it slide? (Too much of a hassle?) I really doubt the latter, which would mean that airport security, like most effective security, is mostly about show. In other words, these people aren't set up to catch criminals, but to deter petty ones... and (mostly?) to offer some degree of comfort to airline passengers.

I wouldn't have any real criticism of this kind of security if it weren't purported as a means of defense against terroism. It's obvious to me that if sufficiently motivated, someone could sneak a harmful device or substance onto a plane without much trouble.

I guess I really just think that it's a bummer that all of what everbody hates about going through security at the airport is also what keeps people faithful in flying. As long as the nation's fear out-weighs it's annoyance and frustration things won't change much. And I'll try to remember to check my pockets next time. I realy don't want to lose that knife.

No comments: