Tuesday, April 10, 2007

SNL

Too lazy to go out and do anything Saturday night after a movie, Jay, Davin and I found ourselves in front of the TV. *Flick* Charlie's Angels? *Flick* Man vs. Wild? *Flick* History Channel? Each were given their chance to impress us, and each were passed by... I guess we were looking for something truly special this night. And on the way back around, back through the network stations, we found our entertainment in an unexpected place.

It's 11:30pm, and we arrive on channel 22. NBC, that is, on Comcast basic cable. Saturday Night Live is on... Huh... And if you're like me, there's good reason to be skeptical of what SNL has to offer these days. Many nights I wouldn't have taken a second look. More commonly I'd make it through half a skit before moving on - shaking my head - once - twice - three times - partly out of pity, remembering what was; and partly to clear my head of their brand of comedic rubbish.

Expectations low - maybe getting desperate(?) - we settled in for whatever this (largely 'unknown' to me) SNL cast could deliever. And, well, we made it through one skit... and we were laughing?! I thought, "Was that a fluke? Could it last?" But then there came another, and yet another, actually funny skit! At one point I remember saying, "This is the funniest SNL I've seen in 10 years," conveniently forgetting some of the great skits by Farrel et al, but being truly enthusiastic about a show that I'd basically left for dead.

AFI was the musical act, and their poor performances brought us down a little by the end of the show... also, the last skit was definitely the worst of the bunch, so that was another unfortunate downside... But overall (and with some time to reflect) I'd say that I'm ready to try out SNL again.

AFI really does suck though.

No comments: