Thursday, September 11, 2008

Geekin' out about Dropbox.

Finally! DropBox, an online backup and synchronization application, went public today, so I got my copy after months of waiting for a beta invitation. I don't see any reason why a person wouldn't sign up for their free service, where you get 2 GBs of storage that you can access from any computer that you have activated with the service. That means not only instant backups, but universal access to your files.

Other services have a similar feature-set (Mozy, which I currently use), but Dropbox's more complete service features and tasty UI puts it way ahead in my book.

The way Dropbox works, is that it makes a folder that acts the same as any other folder on your computer, but now when you add a file to the designated folder, you'll be able to open it on from the Dropbox folders you have on any other machines. Like magic :), Dropbox copies the files first to the web, and then down to you other machines so they're local always & everywhere. Crazy.

So I'm really excited about Dropbox.

No comments: