Friday, March 21, 2008

Long Overdue -- The Best Films of 2007 v3

***Or, from best to worst, the films that I saw in 2007. I was waiting to make this list until I saw Gone Baby Gone and The Assassination of Jesse James By the Coward Robert Ford, but I still have not seen I'm Not There, Rescue Dawn, Planet Terror, La Vie en Rose, 4 Months, 3 Weeks, 2 Days, The Diving Bell and the Butterfly... Balls of Fury...***

1. No Country for Old Men. No surprises here. I loved it. So did most everybody. (Because it was that good!)
2. There Will Be Blood. This was the hardest spot to pick. There are a number of movies I feel like I need to, or really want to, see again. This is at the top of that list... so it gets #2 in my list.
3. Juno. I'm going to cut down on the comments here... But Juno was good too. :)
4. Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street. I loved watching this movie. About the most fun I had in a theater all last year.
5. Once.
6. Atonement.
7. Michael Clayton.
8. The Darjeeling Limited.
9. Into the Wild.
10.
Zodiac.
11. Across the Universe.
12. Gone Baby Gone.
13. Death Proof.
14. The Namesake
15. Ratatouille.
16. Sunshine.
17. Knocked Up.
18. 300.
19. Sicko.
20. The Bourne Ultimatum.
21. 3:10 to Yuma.
22. Charlie Wilson's War.
23. Disturbia.
24. The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford.
25. Waitress.
26. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.
27. 28 Weeks Later.
28. The Mist.
29. Super Bad.
30. Dan in Real Life.
31. Eastern Promises.
32. Breach.
33. American Gangster.
34. Live Free or Die Hard.
35. The Lookout.
36. The Simpsons Movie.
37. Shooter.
38. Fracture.
39. Oceans Thirteen.
40. Transformers.
41. Blades of Glory.
42. The Number 23.

(Now to see how many times I change my mind now that I have it all down on paper...)

8 comments:

royler said...

Shooter? really? Something about that movie just did not suspend my disbelief. It kept reminding me that it was just a movie and that got in the way of me liking it. Maybe i need to rewatch The Way of the Gun because every time i see an action flick i compare it to that and Way of the Gun always comes out way ahead.

Bjorn said...

Well come on, it was 33rd on my list! I guess maybe it's not clear that these are ALL of the films that I saw released in 2007... So 33rd of 40 isn't that great, as you say. (But Shooter was still a 'fun' movie. I was entertained.)

NOTE: I'm on my 2nd version of this list now, and I wouldn't be too surprised to see it change again. :)

Thanks for the comments.

royler said...

hrmm, I thought you'd say what about it you liked as a counter-point, but since you might revise your list... do keep in mind that Live Free or Die Hard, Shooter, and Shoot Em Up all came out in 2007. (be careful if you actually rent the movie Shoot Em Up because it is obnoxiously strange. I'm pretty sure it's a satire of american action movies made from a foreign perspective.)

D.K. said...

You have seen an impressive amount of movies. My (much smaller) list looks like this:

1. Juno - Really enjoyable movie. My only complaint is that it may have slightly trivialized teenage pregnancy... though it wasn't unbelievable to me either.
2. No Country for Old Men - just saw it last weekend and wow, if I ever decide to commit random violent crime in the 80's in Texas, I'll be sure to get an air gun.
3. Knocked Up - hilarious and actually a good movie too.
4. Eastern Promises.
5. The Golden Compass (was this 2007? If not, disregard. I loved the book and the movie made me want to read it).
6. 3:10 to Yuma.
7. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. Cool wizard fight scene foreshadows more awesome movies to come.
8. There Will Be Blood. Yeah yeah DDL is the best actor alive... maybe I sat too close to the screen but this movie kinda gave me a headache.
9. Transformers. Megan Fox made me want to buy a sweet car. Otherwise a forgettable movie with some decent action scenes.
10. 300. I have a soft spot for movies with fantastical ancient battles. Even so, this one could have replaced a bit of violence with a bit of plot and would have been a bit better.
11. Super Bad. Often funny, but could have replaced half the swear words with clever words instead.
12. The Simpsons Movie. Spiderpig was ruined by the previews.
13. The Bourne Ultimatum
14. Oceans Thirteen
15. Zodiac - I may have just been tired when I watched this one and fell asleep for about 20 minutes of it... it moved too slow for my tastes that night in any case.

DK

Anonymous said...

I think you forgot Charlie Wilson's War... was that last year?

Bjorn said...

Ok, yet another edit... Hopefully I haven't forgotten any more 2007 movies that I saw!

Thanks again for the comments. I love bloggin'bout movies. :)

Coach Lou said...

Man there are some bad movies on that list.

Here's something more entertaining:

http://centripetalnotion.com/2007/09/13/13:26:26

Coach Lou said...

Also ... have you ever drawn caricatures? I used to do them in high school of our teachers in the school paper!

http://campaignstops.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/03/17/drawing-the-candidates/index.html