Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Further Recomendations

I mentioned Inkscape, a scalable vector graphics editor, in my last post, but I forgot about two other important open source apps: the first being Gimp®, a program that is supposed to replicate, if not replace both Adobe® Illustrator® and Photoshop®; the second being OpenOffice®, a competitor for Microsoft's® Office Suite®.

Has anybody tried these? Let me know if you have/do. I think I'll definitely try these guys first next time.... that is, whenever I can afford that Powerbook I've been drooling over for so long...

2 comments:

Gumby said...

Hey Bjorn-

I've used both Gimp and Open Office. They're both good. The user-interface for Gimp takes some time to understand but once you grasp it, both do nearly the same as the proprietary programs. I can't tell you if they do exactly the same things as their expensive counterparts when using advanced features as I didn't use them for that long. Definitely check them out. However, the bottom line is I'm waiting for CS3 to be released.

Bjorn said...

Cool, thanks for the input Curt. I'm sure that CS3 will be awesome... and I can only hope my workplace will get it, because I'll still have a hard time shelling out the dough to purchase a copy.

Anyway, finding affodable alternatives to common, "necessary" software makes new hardware purchases seem much more viable. :) Plus, I'm kinda diggin' the open source philosophy... beyond the 'free'-ness of it all.